Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday 7 August 2013
Name: Pushing The Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Date Published: July 31, 2012
Grade: A

Goodreads Summary: No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


Review: I remember reading the summary for this book when it first came out and wanting to read it very badly. However, as the release date passed, Pushing The Limits started slipping lower and lower on my TBR list. Finding myself in a reading slump, I usually turn to novels that are driven by one key element - romance. This novel had romance, but it also contained a emotionally driven story that had me at the edge of my seat throughout my reading experience.

The chapters are told through the point of view of the main characters, Echo and Noah. I find myself being drawn to these stories more now as you can see into the minds of both love interests. Not only is this a major bonus in my books, but I noticed that lately these books are the ones that keep me engaged longer. Thinking back to the book now, I realize that this story reminded me a lot of The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. Though not quite up to the level of Millay's masterpiece, Pushing The Limits features alternating points of view and two characters with emotional pasts. Apparently, these stories are my element, and boy do they ever keep a reader entertained.

Another reason why my eyes were glued to this novel was the writing and pacing. Katie McGarry's writing was vivid enough to make each scene translate into movie scenes in my head. Not to mention the scenes between Noah and Echo had butterflies - or as Echo would say pterodactyls - flying rapidly around my stomach.
 When I can find an author who can do that, I know that I can always turn to their novels during any of my reading slumps. The pacing, too, of the relationship and even the revelations of Echo's past pieced together wonderfully and always kept the reader engaged in the plot.

Though this book may have received many mixed reviews (some people loved it and some people just couldn't connect with it), I definitely could not tear myself away from the world Katie McGarry created. Her story reminded me of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles with its sizzling chemistry and complex characters. If you loved Perfect Chemistry then you cannot miss this book. If you haven't read either book, I highly suggest you give both a try!

Happy reading!

~ SARINA

0 comments: