Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Monday 8 April 2013

Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Date Published: January 2, 2012
Grade: A-

Goodreads Summary: Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row. A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Review: Alright, so I'm gonna keep this review short and sweet, similar to the book itself, because there's really not all that much to say about it because it was simply a cute, fast read. FIRSTLY, WILL YA LOOK AT THAT COVER? I mean wowow its maybe the cutest cover I have ever seen on a book... And the title "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight" also seems like a really amazing title of a promising read.

Basically, the book starts off with this American teenager Hadley Sullivan who misses her flight to London to attend her father's second wedding. Dreading the thought of meeting her father's new wife and "faking" through the happy reconciling moments with her dad, she reluctantly waits for the next plane over, a plane ride that seems to be destined. Immediately after missing her flight, Hadley is met by a British student from Yale- on his way back to London for a "wedding" of some sort- who seems to have taken quite an interest in her. Sparks fly and the two teens quickly fall for each other.

Personally, it took me quite a while to like the book. Actually, to be exact, it took me 226 pages to finally be completely invested in the book, more on that later. So why didn't I love it? Well, the plot wasn't very complex and everything was pretty simplistic, no parts in the book that made you really think. It was simple, to simply put it. I didn't exactly love the characters. At times, Hadley seemed a little self-centered and annoying- running off in the middle of her own father's wedding, jumping to conclusions every couple pages, crying quite a lot. At times I just couldn't take the Hadley-Oliver relationship seriously because it reminded me of a cheesy ol' hallmark card. "There's no place I would rather be than here", like psh, gimme a break ammirite? *cough* Or maybe I'm just secretly jealous because I want someone to say that to meeeeeee *paula bawls her eyes out as she desperately longs for cute British boy to love her* *couuuugh* Finally, the third person narrative bugged me throughout the novel; I find it so much easier when you can actually feel what the characters feel, especially when claiming to fall in "love at first sight".

Remember how I said I waited 226 pages to be engulfed by the book? Yes, well. The last chapter was near perfection for me. Although I sadly turned the last few pages of the book longing for more Hadley-Oliver reconciliation moments, the last chapter changed my opinion on the book; from feeling skeptical and unimpressed by the cheesiness at some of the parts in previous pages, to that satisfying, warm feeling I get when reading about first love. AND GET THIS- THE TITLE IS CONNECTED BACK TO THE END OF THE BOOK. IT MADE ME SO HAPPY. OH THE FEELS.

Alright, that's about it from me. Overall, I think it was a really cute, "fluffy"- as many other bloggers have been calling it-easy, pleasant, read.

Thanks for reading!

PAULA :)


0 comments: