Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday 27 April 2013
Title: Two-Way Street
Author: Lauren Barnholdt
Date Published: June 26, 2007
Grade: B

Goodreads Summary: There are two sides to every breakup.This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation. Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care. 
But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot. Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.

Review: I was very doubtful whether I would like this book or not. After reading some pretty tough reviews about it, it sounded dreadfully cheesy and frustrating. Surprisingly, I did enjoy it much more than I had initially thought. It wasn't a life changing, amazing novel, but it acted kind of like a guilty pleasure read. A light, super fast, and engaging read about first love and heartbreak.

*SIDENOTE* The cover... Doesn't exactly have much to do with the story (other than a boy and a girl on a road trip). 1) Jordan isn't a blonde, he is supposed to have dark brown hair. 2) It's not supposed to be a small, roofless car- it's Jordan's truck! and 3) I don't think they ever get stuck on the road are are forced to open the  hood of the car. 

Okay well, firstly, I really liked how the book was from both Courtney and Jordan's points of views. It made the plot fast moving and extremely engaging. I loved seeing both sides of the story. For instance, one of my favorite parts of the book was when Courtney didn't want Jordan to think she was interested in his conversation, so she tried to look busy by rummaging through her bag, even though she was very interested. Then, when we get to Jordan's perspective, he tells us how disappointed and sad he feels because he thinks Courtney didn't care about his conversation. I found that funny. 

Jordan... The more I read, the more I liked him. At first, he seemed like an obnoxious, stereotypical "thinks he's so cool" player. But I really fell for him by the end. You could tell he really loves Courtney; the way he held her hair back when she was sick, how he left eighteen messages on her phone, how badly he wanted to be with her. Oh gosh, it was so cute. Courtney was kind of the opposite for me. I liked her at the very beginning, I found her funny and somewhat relatable (I too, would have made an itinerary). But as I read on, she annoyed me more and more. Especially at the end when she was mad at Jordan. I couldn't understand why she was so upset. Courtney seemed so self centered, she rarely thought about things from the perspective of Jordan. And she often over-reacted to everything. However, I think they worked well together as a couple, and I really enjoyed reading about their chemistry. 

Although a lot did happen throughout the novel, there didn't seem to be a real climax. Just a bunch of events that happened one after another. Readers had known about the big "twist" since near the beginning of the book. Furthermore, the "twist" was kind of anti-climatic. 

Overall though, I found this book very light. It didn't really fulfill me very much. There was no sudden greater life realization that occurred to me while I read it. It's not a book that will stick with me for a very long time. Two Way Street was simply a fun and cute little read.

PAULA :) 


0 comments: